The housing market is growing, especially here in Northeast Ohio. In 2017, home sales across the region rose 1.6% with annual average sale prices increasing 6%. Sure, this is great news! But, the rise in sales has created a bit of a shortage in terms of available properties. Prospective homebuyers are now getting crafty with their tactics, including one of the best-kept secrets in the market today. Continue reading
- Think creatively: don’t worry about what a listing ‘should’ look like
- Identify the key advantage of renovating this house, then turn it into an attention-grabbing headline
- Write an opening statement that gets to the point – a sentence or two should do it
- Sell emotion with your copy – describe the ‘home’, not just the ‘house’
- Accentuate the positives and focus on the potential
- Create urgency with a closing call-to-action
How are renovation listings different?
Listings for homes with perfect foundations, new roofs, gorgeous gardens and all the modern amenities practically write themselves. So, how do you spin sweet poetry about a property that needs some TLC?
The first step is to ditch any preconceived notion you may have about what a property listing should look like. Lately, it seems like most listings are just a quick paragraph listing the property’s features. Yet, if your property is ripe for a renovation mortgage, describing features like, “Roof needs replaced, windows are drafty, paint chipped throughout, and hole in the bathroom floor,” won’t whet anybody’s appetite.
With an attention-grabbing headline and the right descriptive copy, your listing will attract the right audience and will clearly communicate why this property is worth the time and investment to renovate.